Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Is A Mom Allowed to Bribe Her Children??!?

I'm not sure if this is considered a bribe or not...but I did it. (And I like ice cream!) I told L that if she did her handwriting without complaining she could fill in this chart:

And when it was all colored, we would go for ice cream. You see, handwriting is not her favorite thing to do..but she rallied around and accomplished this in 16 school days straight!!!

yum, yum!

Must be tasty!

Even the little guy got in on the action..he loves ice cream. I guess he can't hardly help it with a dad who would eat ice cream twice a day if it was around!

So this worked out good for the whole family. What mom doesn't like a peanut butter sundae when her daughter accomplishes a goal?

I'm not sure what we'll do next..she suggested going to grandma's or eating at Red Lobster as the next prize. (Yes, my children have expensive eating out choices! They don't ever pick the normal McDonald's.)

Any ideas for a fun incentive? I'd love to hear some other ideas. This homeschooling mom runs out of creative ideas by September!

4 comments:

  1. Fun! I struggle to be creative, and Morgan is only two! I don't know how easy this would be to do, but what about an afternoon of alone time with Mom? Or a trip to the library? Like I said...I am not creative when it comes to incentives! I try to not use food for treats for Morgan, but other than stickers, there isn't much that she finds interesting yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the exact thing about food. I would like to do something else! I don't want my children to think that food is the only way to celebrate! It's hard enough to not eat when you're happy, sad, depressed, etc. I think the alone time is a good idea! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't call it bribing, Rachel, I call that a REWARD! I'd say she did a wonderful job and you all deserved the ice cream! Red Lobster sounds good too, maybe I'll practice some handwriting!!!!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. R, In the education system[I'm making it sound really professional]It is called positive reinforcement. In which reinforcements can range from verbal praise, attetion[time with mommy, great idea Melinda]to tangibles and edibles. So I think your idea was GREAT. She can visually see her progress, now when Ms. L is 15 it might be time to take away the chart.=)
    love you B

    Not saying every task we do in life has to be charted most of the time we need to expect obedience on the first time. [Ouch! that directly affect us with our two year old!!] Praying that we ask our Lord to guide us everytime.

    ReplyDelete